Saturday, April 4, 2009

Most likely project topic and recommended sites

I want to write a little bit about the three websites I postesd. Freewillastrology is Rob Breszny's site. His horoscopes used to appear in the City Paper, but I don't think they do anymore. The messages he writes are very obscure and more about how to think of your life and yourself more than prediction. The website also has the Beauty and Truth Lab and other positive and entertaining writings.

The second is the site for the Association of Tennis Professionals; the ATP runs the men's side of tennis. Here you can get results, schedules, bios, rankings, and even watch tennis matches live. I'm a tennis junkie, so I love it. The WTA runs a site for women's tennis.

The last one is Facebook, which is a lame choice, I know. But I just registered as the last person on the planet to not have a facebook page. I have been catching up with people who I never thought I would see again from high school, grade school, and college.

Possible topics for my website are the gems of North Philadelphia, feathered dinosaurs, or something concerning Russian history. I recently went to a lecture and the Wagner Fee Institute of Science at 17th Street and Montgomery. It was a wonderful museum, complete with archives and library. Even though I've grown up in Philadelphia, I don't know a whole lot about North Philly. Like many people I just thought of it as a ghetto and Temple, but over the years I've been to a few institutions that are steeped in tradition and that contribute to the history of this city. Some others include the Chapel of the Four Chaplins and Girard College.

Feathered dinosaurs are just way cool. I was a dinosaur freak when I was a kid, and even considered pusuing palentology, but ultimately decided on library science instead.

Russia is so intriguing to me. Growing up in the Cold War, all I ever learned was that they were the bad guys. But the nations is a link between Europe and the Far East, and there's so much to it that we never learn like the differents peoples that make up the country, how it began, and what about the Romanovs that preceded Nicholas II.

7 comments:

  1. Feathered dinosaurs? I would be so excited to read about that! I'm sure that North Philly or Russia would also be good topics, but dinosaurs would be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wagner Free Institute is a wonderful gem that almost no one knows or talks about in Philadelphia. Their lectures are excellent.

    I also love the U.Penn Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology and I recommend it to everyone visting the area.

    Doreva

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't say "feathered dinosaurs" and then not deliver. Share a link? All I can see in my mind's eye is some sort of Tweety-bird/ Jurassic Park hybrid...

    You also definitely are onto something in looking at your childhood impressions of what Russia was all about. How do you think you got those ideas? Media portrayal of Russia during the Cold War might be pretty fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Andrea, please tell me more about feathered dinosaurs. It's not really anything that I am familiar with. Would you address how scientists realized dinosaurs had feathers? What scientific evidence there is? The names of these dinosaurs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somewhere, I learned that contrary to prior information, dinosaurs are closer, from an evolutionary standpoint, to birds than lizards. So I guess it makes sense that at least some dinosaurs would be feathered. A site dedicated to this topic would be fascinating!

    I agree with Catherine that such a site should address scientific evidence of dinosaur feathers. Maybe you could even have examples (via charts or photographs) about why dinosaurs are more similar to birds than they are to lizards?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am fascinated by Russia and have a growing collection of history books on modern russian history (from the Romanovs on). I am currently reading a book on the history of Siberia (1850s-1990s). There are so many ways you can go with this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I had a vote, it would be for feathered dinosaurs; the only trick might be contributing something original. If you don't end up taking that idea I might steal it from you!

    ReplyDelete